Introduction to the Challenge

This challenge is specifically set towards those that have not had the opportunity to sew a garment/object by hand. This challenge is NOT a competion, merely a place for new handsewers to document their progress and seek feedback and help, and to challenge themselves. Sewers that are experienced in hand stitching items will not be excluded, but this is meant as a chance for those with no experience in this realm to get a start.The Challenge I propose is that all persons joining the challenge pick a garment or object of textile nature, no matter how small or large, i.e. a pilgrim bag, a Coif or any type of hat, socks, flag, gloves etc., and have at least one form of documentation for its existence during the SCA time period. Acceptable forms of documentation for this project will be paintings/woodcuts/drawings with the desired object in it or a picture of the desired object.The challenge starts first of June and will end one year later. People can join the challenge at any time during this year. Those of you with handsewing experience are invited to follow the blog, and leave comments and feedback as the challenge progresses. The challenge is based in Drachenwald, but is open to all kingdoms.
If you would like to join the challenge (and the blog) please email me at to be added!

Monday, August 24, 2009

the first codpiece finished

Greetings all
Well I finished the Codpiece!
It is not quite what I was going for, but as you already know from my last post I LIKE IT!
Ok so I toke the lining (see last post) and I attached the silk after I had gathered it to the right length to the "swollen" part of the codpiece.
The outer part was made slashed and the slashing turned and sewn down, then the separate parts (the same as the lining) where sewn together. All this was then turned and pulled over the Lining with the Silk attached and then blind stitched closed.
outerpart codpiece

me at pennsic



Monday, August 10, 2009

My Handsewing on Apron

I've finished the hand sewing!!! Now to iron it, ha ha. Should have done that before the pictures.
Now I will be sewing blackwork on the bottom. A fret of Thistels is the pattern I'm going to do.